Accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere. In the US, slip trip and fall accidents are more dangerous and prevalent than you might think, accounting for 30% of all accidents. You might not realize that slips trips and falls make up 15% of all accidental deaths, only second to motor vehicle crashes.
If you’ve got a busy home with people coming and going, or a workplace with staff, contractors, or members of the public entering the building, you’ll want to make your environment as safe as possible. Certain factors play a role in increasing the risk of slip trip and fall accidents at home or work, and these include:
- Wet and uneven floors account for 55% of slip, trip, and fall accidents in the US. Failing to mop up spillages quickly can have serious consequences. Recently cleaned or waxed floors are particularly slippery underfoot. Uneven flooring is treacherous too because when we transition from one level to another it can disorientate us.
- Faulty flooring such as dips, rips, or tears in flooring or loose floorboards can lead to stumbles, especially when heels get caught in loose flooring.
- Floors with poor grip such as smooth-surfaced or polished floors can lead to skids and slips.
- Cluttered floors can be a trip hazard.
- Improper footwear such as high heels or flip flops can be attributed to slip trips and falls.
Why safe flooring choices matter
Slips trips and falls at home or work can have serious consequences. Around 75% of falls happen in the home or close by, and those with mobility issues are at higher risk. At work, falls that lead to serious injury result in staff absence and therefore reduce productivity. Complaints or lawsuits from staff, contractors, clients, or members of the public may also ensue. Although safety is everyone’s responsibility, if you’re a business owner, the buck stops with you.
So, what can we do to lower the risk of slip trips and falls at home and at work?
- At work, promote a culture of reporting any near misses or accidents and alert maintenance to any flooring repair or replacement needs. Good housekeeping is essential in shared office spaces to avoid trip hazards. Floors should be mopped when there are as few people present as possible, and a wet floor sign should always be used.
- At home, install a mat at the entrance that has a good grip and will absorb wet footprints on rainy days. Avoid the habit of leaving clutter or parcels in your pathway.
Step safely for years to come
Our choice of flooring is incredibly important at home and at work, so take the time to consider safe flooring. Slip-resistant flooring is a game-changer and will dramatically reduce accidents.
As the team at Flooring Liquidators will tell you, slip-resistant Vinyl is the safest choice for your home or commercial space. It’s the perfect solution for high-traffic rooms or spaces because it offers grip, increased resistance to skidding, and traction underfoot. Slip-resistant Vinyl is suitable for homes, healthcare facilities, retail, hospitality, and offices.
The slip resistance is all thanks to the increased friction between the foot and the floor because of the anti-slip particles in the floor layers.
In addition, it’s affordable, easy to clean and maintain, eco-friendly, comfortable, waterproof, and highly resilient. And it’s not just practical, it’s attractive too! It comes in a huge selection of colors and styles.